16 May 2007

Mr. Processor, here I am at your service!

“To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer”
(Farmers’ Almanac 1978)


In one fine day a friend asked me a question like this: which one is more competent in making decision: a computer, or a man who operates it. I could not but remain silent for the question was so difficult that it stopped my brain from working immediately. Another friend submitted a proposal, as he wearily spoke to both of us,” Why don’t we just ask the computer to discuss this particular matter? Perhaps it can gives advises on who’s more competent in making decision? Itself, or…. us?”

I was learning one important thing that very day. Computer becomes more human, while human becomes more mechanical and artificial. I was about to cry but no tears were left to drop, because my soul was full with foolish joy, wanting to laugh out loud.

Today, I really want to recall again that conversation. I want to make a little reunion with those two fellows I just talked about. I almost lost contact on their whereabouts, until someone else told me where I could find them. One is working at the university in town, and that’s very easy to reach him in one single call. Another one gives me a sudden migraine as he works at a computer security system company. When I begin to dial his office number, then….. my conversation with the computer processor also begins……

“Hello, Good morning. This is a so-and-so computer system company. Please press one for English, press two for Mandarin, or press three for Bahasa Indonesia”

I press three.

“Thank you! You are calling to the most sophisticated computer system company. Our company is pleased to help you, our value customers. Please press one for our products offer, press two for our services, press three for inquiries, press four for existing customers, or press five if you wish to contact our staff”

I press five.

“Thank you. Please press one for Sales Department, press two for Marketing Department, press three for Customer Services, press four for Operational Department, or press five for other departments”

I press two.

“Thank you. Our staffs in the Marketing Departments are on the lunch break at the moment. Please press one to leave your message, press two to reserve your call after one p.m., press three for operator assistance, or press four to hang up.”

I put the headset back into its place, almost fainted. I guess, as my old friend had suggested long-long ago, I will just ask for advises from my computer whether or not I should call my friend again this afternoon or not. It seems that my day is getting bluer. If I call, I will surely get my migraine back. Oh, what an age! (May 2007)

No comments: