16 May 2007

Sleeping and Today's Technology

Day’s off. It’s the day of the Ascension of the Lord. I almost forgot. I haven’t seen the calendar recently, and I even don’t remember that today – although holiday – I have a load list of work to do. It’s okay of not seeing a calendar, but being forgetful really scares me.

Chuck Sigars wrote: Calendars are for careful people, not passionate ones. (The World According To Chuck). I guess I buy that maxim, and I am swallowed by this maxim.

Last night I went to bed early, about at 23.00 (well, I normally have mere 5 to 6 hours of sleeping, 80% of them are considered ‘quality sleep’.

I have been used to have a short quality sleep. I tried several times to have a longer sleep and ended up having headache! But today, I wake up late, oh yes…. I overslept! I have approximately 8 hours of quality sleep, and get up without any headache.

Strange as it sounds, that human body does not necessarily follow what nature has regulated. Human body can be trained, conditioned and regulated by intention. Like what I have experienced for long time already, I feel better with 6 hours of quality sleep on my own bed rather than 8 to 10 hours of mere sleep on the bed of a nice cottage by the sea. True, life is about choices and decisions. If I want to enjoy life, I have to firstly design the ‘sleeping architecture’ to which I will build that sleeping mode: moderate, good, excellent, or superb!

I try to reflect of my quality sleeping just now with the way technology observes, researches and manufactures all means so that human body can physically rest well, not just mechanically rest. Nowadays you may find a set of bed with built-in Hi-Fi 3D surround which creates the atmosphere of nature’s sounds, bird’s singing, river’s flowing or rain’s pouring. In some cases where luxury beds for the rich society are present, you may as well find those beds swinging and rocking, to make those who lay on them feel like sleeping outdoor on the hammock.

On my mount trekking at the Appalachian Trails, Blue Ridge Mountain, West Virginia some years ago, I managed to sleep outdoor on the mouth of a small cave. To my surprise, that was one of the best sleeps I ever had! With only a sleeping bag, bugs repellant and a small FM radio, I slept like a baby, that what my trekking fellows told me.

Of course since now I am living in Jakarta where quality sleeping even at our own house is somewhat ‘endangered species’, we could only turn on the instrumental music like guitar or piano, some prefer saxophone and violin, and fantasizing that we live outdoor somewhere by the riverside of Babylon and try to have a good sleep, or else, we will just feel down and blue.

Sometimes technology helps, sometimes not. So, sleep tight, don’t let the big bad bugs bite! (May 2007)

No comments: